Olympic Recuperation

Finally, I can bring to you the end of my Ravellenic Challenge.  I really meant to do this last week, but somehow time escaped me and before I knew it, it was Friday.  I feel like that has been my summer, though, and most especially the 17 days of the Olympic games.  I am just now feeling like I’m catching up on things, and I think that is because my awesome parents asked to have Ellette for the rest of the summer and my house is blissfully (and sometimes saddeningly) child-free.

Anyway, I did not make it to the finish line.  I really tried.  The Saturday night before the end, I was up until goodness knows when, trying to finish the last few modules I had left.  I probably shot myself in the foot doing that, because I had to rip back the same module three or four times due to counting errors.  After I finished the modules, I Threaded a lifeline through the remaining live stitches and blocked it out.  I was hoping to block it lightly enough to hold the shape, yet be dry enough that I could take it with me in the morning to finish during class and fair.  I used a spray bottle to spritz over it, but apparently didn’t realize how much water I had used because it was still too damp to move in the morning.  I gave up hope at that point.

I didn’t cross the finish line, but I still finished, and I think that is the most important thing.  I crossed this beautiful fan shawl off my WIP list and I am completely in love with it (I planned my wardrobe around it this morning so I could wear it to the office).  Photographs were taken in a public flower bed in downtown Evanston yesterday.  I received some really strange looks from passersby.

The specs:  Panda Silk Fan Shawl on size US3 needles.

Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in 852 Persia – at least one skein is.  I used two skeins, and the second skein is something else.

Mods: I used a much smaller yarn, for one, which required smaller needles.  I also added two more rows of fans to make it a little bigger.

Advertisements

Olympics – Day 13

What a terrible run this has been.  I clearly overestimated how much time I would have to work on this project, and I underestimated the magnitude of the knitting itself.  They make be little, but they sure are time consuming.  The quickest I completed a pawn was 1 hour.  I started on the queen, and an hour later I had only finished her head.

By the way – you think second sock syndrome is bad – try 16th pawn syndrome.  That last one was almost the end of me.  I couldn’t believe I was doing it again, and the stitches stretched on before me and I nearly broke.  I almost threw my towel in.

Today, not much is different.  We are getting closer to end and I am falling farther behind.

I finished the white queen:

And one rook for the white side:

And then I couldn’t do it anymore.  The tiny needles were digging into the sides of my fingers, the tips were causing blisters on my index fingers’ tips.  I thought about calling it quits for real.  Just putting it down for a few days to relax.  There is a lot going on right now, some of which I could anticipate before this all started.  I really should have known better.  I should have known I would not have enough time for it.  I should have found a different way of incorporating my work needs with the Ravelympics.  Like seeing how many Zombie hats I could churn out in two weeks.   Or getting through the rest of the Zigamorph scarves I need to make.  I realize this now, and I won’t make the same mistake.

Yesterday, I dove into my wip bin (really that should be plural, but it’s a bit embarrassing that way).  I came up with the Panda Fan Shawl I had started in Denmark and looked at how much there was left.  I can do that, at least, and still limp across the finish line.

I was working away at it last night and realized that the two skeins of Malabrigo sock are different.  I don’t know how, but they are.  They were gifted to me by a non-knitter, so I really shouldn’t be surprised.  I don’t know if they are completely different colorways, or just dye lots, but if you look closely you will notice that the top fans are much darker than the bottom fans.

Luckily, the placement of these fans is good enough that the color change looks almost intention.  I have been tossing around the idea of knitting the top edge with an even darker blue to further accentuate the difference.  What are your thoughts?

Tomorrow, I will be heading to a crazy quilting class at Stitches Midwest.  I’m incredibly excited about this.  I have been looking forward to it for weeks.  Saturday is the Renaissance Fair again, and Sunday morning I’m taking the Get Published class taught by Shannon Okey.  I’ve got my proposal typed, but I feel that it is lacking by way of samples and pictures.

http://livesoftheaerialists.com/

Just a Crazy Fiber Fairy

Pollyanna Rainbow Sunshine and the Needles of Doom

Fiber, craft, life, and random silliness

The Creative Pixie

eat up from crafty goodness with this creative mama

My Tangled Yarn Knitting Adventures

Ramblings from an obsessed knitter

Funky Air Bear

Traditional & Modern Knits

The Circus Diaries

Circus Thoughts From Circus People

art predator

art predator )'( seek to engage the whole soul

This Is What it is

A topnotch WordPress.com site

she shoots sheep shots

Just a Crazy Fiber Fairy

Half Crunchy Mom

No Extremes, No Judgement

by Annie Claire

Just a Crazy Fiber Fairy

No Parachute Theatre

theatre.aerial.dance

From My Insides Out

My journey to save myself

circus of humanity

A site dedicated to Circus/Performance Arts, Freaks and Geeks, Self-Acceptance, Financial Freedom, and Enjoying the Journey!